Sunday, February 1, 2015

Coach W6D3 - 3x Metis (Standard)

 3x Metis (S): *00:44:38 


February is here! Sunday = last training session of this week! I had done a fraction of Aphrodite on Thursday and now it was time for Metis... the standard version, three times! Yep, the "nice feature" of the coach that allows you to do partial workouts, also can make you do three times the same workout!!! Not liking the nice feature so much now, are we? 


I remembered Metis as a friendly and fast workoutMy previous PB was around 9 minutes so I multiplied that by 3 + a couple of extra minutes because of the added reps, and I thought I should finish up in around 30 minutes. Well, I'm certainly still not in good shape considering how far I was from that estimate. I finished the first Metis in 12 minutes, which was decent, but from then on, I suffered big time. I think I'm not breathing properly because with all that jumping up and down during the burpees and high jumps I started feeling really dizzy, like there was not enough oxygen going to my brain, and a couple of times I really felt like fainting. I had to stop, put my head between  my legs and take deep breaths to recover. I started noticing I was holing my breath a lot during the heavier "strength parts" of the movements, so I guess I was functioning anaerobically, which totally explains my dizziness... From now on I'm making more of a conscious effort to breathe a lot better throughout the workout so that this does not happen again.



My girlfriend did some exercises next to me and then decided to coach me a little. All this time I've trained alone and I never really get to see with perspective if I'm doing the exercises right, nor do I get somebody else's input on how my form is. She corrected my climbers saying my hips were not below my shoulder line at all times. She even put her hands at shoulder height to prevent me from raising the hips. I felt the climbers become harder immediately with that pointer! And I could have sworn I was doing them right... She also had some comments on my burpees, particularly on the landing of the jump forward. With all that, plus the hell I went through during the final series, she sort of forced me to tell the coach that this week's intensity was "far too high". I guess I think it was a little high (not "far too high") but the argument that  finally sold me into accepting that it was too high is that by the end I was so exhausted that I was loosing the form of the exercises... and we all know that form is more important than time so there's that. I'll be starting a new week with adjusted intensity!


PS: Before training my girlfriend and I did her CrossFit warm up, which included some crunches that looked easy but actually really hurt! After training we stretched out real good and then we went to my parent's house were swam a bit in the pool, which was at the lovely temperature of 28°C. OK, to be honest I didn't swam as much as I floated around, and it was awesome #SUMMER IS HERE!

1 comment: