Monday, January 19, 2015

Cooking Protein Bread

 #Eat clean and Train Dirty

I decided to start off by making Protein Bread, the first recipe in the "breakfast" category of the nutrition guide, to make healthy high-protein sandwich to take with me and eat about 1 hour before soccer.

Protein Bread, according to the nutrition guide, is lower on carbs and higher on proteins and vegetable fats than regular whole grain bread. It's still bread, so don't go crazy eating tons of it, but it is the best alternative you can find for making a healthy sandwich.

I started off by going to a Nuts & Seeds shop to buy a few ingredients I was missing. I bought Linseeds, Pumpkin Seeds and pealed Sunflower Seeds. I modified a little bit the Nutrition Guide recipe; I used Almond Flour instead of ground almonds and white flour instead of whole flour -because my adorable girlfriend has trouble digesting whole flour-. I also used free range eggs because hey, we're being healthy here! The other ingredients are Oatmeal, Baking Powder and Greek Yoghurt

The dough is very very very wet and "fluffy". I was afraid it would not bake well. Other than that it's very easy and quick to assemble and mix. I used a silicone loaf pan and I baked the bread in a preheated oven for 60 mins, very late at night, so then I left it to cool down overnight inside the oven.



VoilĂ ! The bread turned out great in spite of my modifications (it is actually mother in law approved ^.^). At first it is a bit unsettling because it does not have the texture of a usual whole grain bread, which normally are quite consistent, hard and dry. I don't particularly mind that, but for some people it can be an issue to have to eat such a hard, dry piece of bread in the mornings. The protein bread has more of the consistency of a cake, spongy and moist.

Flavor wise, the seeds on top make all the difference, I believe. I don't use salt when I cook and this time I think I could have put a little on it to make it taste stronger. It is a little dull on its own, but with some avocado and a piece of cold turkey breast it's great! Also this time I followed (pretty much) the recipe to the T, but there's tons of room to play around. I think carrots would be nice on it. Also I really can see it going very well with berries! I'll keep you posted on my future innovations... In the meaning time, it really made a great pre-workout sandwich, tasty and easy to eat; I could not be more thrilled!


No comments:

Post a Comment